Skip to Main Content

Frequently Asked Questions

Frequently Asked Questions

Q. Where is the Morgan County Sheriff's Office located?

A. The address for the Sheriff's Office is 119 Lee St NE Decatur, AL 35601. The telephone number is 256.351.4800.

Arieal View ofdowntown Decatur Alabama with Sheriff Office marked


Q. How do I report a crime to the Sheriff's Office?

A. All agencies in Morgan County are dispatched through Morgan County 911. If the crime is in progress call 9-1-1. If the crime has already occurred and no emergency exists call 256.350.4613


Q. How do I obtain a copy of an incident/offense report that I filed?

A. Reports can be obtained at the Sheriff's Office during administrative business hours. 

  • Administrative business hours are Monday through Thursday from 8:00 a.m. until 4:30 p.m. and Friday from 8:00 am to 12:00 pm.


Q. How do I obtain a warrant against an individual?

A. Warrants are issued by the Circuit Clerk. You must first complete an incident/offense report and deliver the report to the clerk when you obtain the warrant. If the offense is a felony offense an investigator will assist you in obtaining the warrant.


Q. Where do I apply for a concealed weapons permit?

A. If you live in Morgan County you can apply at the Sheriff's Office during administrative business hours or anytime online or through our APP: MCSO Now 

  • Administrative business hours are Monday through Thursday from 8:00 a.m. until 4:30 p.m. and Friday from 8:00 am to 12:00 pm.


Q. How can I find out if a particular person is in the Morgan County Jail?

A. Please go to the Sheriff's Office website and check the inmate roster page. All inmates are published to the website when they are booked into the facility, along with their charge and any available bond amounts. Details are also available on our APP: MCSO Now


Q. What is this schedule for inmate visitation?

A. Video visitation is available. All visits can be scheduled through VendEngine


Q. Where can I find information about convicted sex offenders in my community?

A. Registered sex offenders in Morgan County are added to our website on the sex offender page. This page contains a map that shows the sex offenders residence location. These details are also available on our APP: MCSO Now


Q. How can a victim of a crime receive information?

A. The Morgan County Jail currently participates in the Vine System. Vine is a free, anonymous, computer-based service that provides victims of crime with two important services: information and notification.

Vine will tell you if an offender is in jail and will give you other important custody information. Vine will also let you leave a phone number where you want to be called automatically if that offender is released, transferred, or escapes. To contact Vine, call 1-877-846-3425 from a touch-tone phone and follow the instructions. You can also register for notification online at
Q. What to do When an Emergency Vehicle is Approaching?
Many people are unaware of how to handle this situation appropriately. Here are a few tips to keep in mind when an emergency vehicle approaches you on the roadway:
  • Alabama state law requires that when an emergency vehicle approaches, you should yield the right-of-way and immediately drive to a position parallel and as close as possible to the right-hand edge or curb of the roadway.
  • Once you are stopped, keep your foot on the brake. This will keep your brake lights on and show the emergency vehicle drivers you have stopped.
  • Stay clear of any intersection. Stop and remain stopped until the emergency vehicle has passed, unless you are directed otherwise by a police officer.
  • Once the emergency vehicle has passed, check your surroundings to make sure no other emergency vehicles are approaching before pulling back onto the road.
  • Stay at least 500 feet behind any moving emergency vehicle displaying flashing lights and a siren. Never race after an emergency vehicle to make it through a traffic light.
  • Never pass a moving emergency vehicle displaying flashing lights unless directed to do so by emergency personnel.
  • The Alabama Move Over Act states: If you pass an emergency vehicle stopped on the road, pull into another lane when possible. If it's not possible to pull into another lane, slow down at least 15 mph and proceed with caution.

Keep these tips in mind when driving. Following these rules will help emergency responders get to their destination quickly and safely and keep you safe on the roadway.

To protect and serve … since 1818