Conceal Carry Permits
Long ago, the State Legislature implemented the Conceal Carry Permit in Alabama. Since then, the Sheriff's Office has been forced to rely on the funds generated to support the daily operations of the Sheriff's Office. Without these funds, the Morgan County Sheriff's Office will be negatively impacted. To see how here is the list of items funded by the Concealed Carry Permit funds:
- Computer hardware and software used in the Sheriff's Office and County Jail
- All Dues, subscriptions, and monthly services needed to operate the Sheriff's Office
- Telephone and Internet Services
- Equipment, equipment repairs, and maintenance
- All furniture and fixtures used in the Sheriff's Office
- K9 Deputy Equipment and Training and expenses
- All Office supplies
- Professional Fees
- Deputy and Correction Officer Training; including registrations, fees meals, and lodging
- Deputy Equipment: Vests, Bodycams, handcuffs, drug testing kits, flashlights, etc
- Vehicle Expenses not covered by County Commission
- Weapons and Ammo
On January 1, 2023 Concealed Carry Permits will no longer be required in Alabama. However, if traveling to certain states, you will still need an Alabama Concealed Carry Permit in order to legally carry a concealed handgun in that state.
Concealed Carry Permit Applications can be completed in our office or online: APPLY ONLINE HERE
Learning the laws regulating the use of firearms is a must for responsible ownership. Local regulations differ and laws vary from state to state. Citizens must check with the jurisdiction where the gun is to be used.
Alabama State Code provides that the Sheriff of a county shall issue a qualified or unlimited license to a person residing in the county, and is a suitable person to be licensed.
Conceal Carry Permits must be obtained from the county sheriff of your county of residence.
|1 Year Permit||$20.00|
|5 Year Permit||$100.00|
|Lifetime Permit (if over age 60)||$150.00|
|Lifetime Permit (if under age 60)||$300.00||*processing fees may apply depending on order format and payment type|
Please note the following information:
- All communication regarding the status of your application, including the approval of your application, will be sent via the email address provided on the application.
- The Sheriff's Office will issue or deny a Concealed Carry License Application within 30 days of receipt of a completed application.
- The Morgan County Sheriff's Office is located at 119 Lee St NE, Decatur, AL 35601.
- Permits may be picked up Monday to Thursdays - 8:00am to 4:30pm, Friday - 8:00am to 12:00pm.
- Please read the requirements below before starting the application
Conceal Carry Permit Requirements: must meet ALL requirements
- be a resident of Morgan County before you can apply for a permit with this office;
- be eighteen (19) years of age or older to apply for a permit;
- be a resident in Morgan County;
The Sheriff may deny a permit application if a determination has been made that the person is prohibited from the possession of a pistol or firearm pursuant to state or federal law, or has a reasonable suspicion that the person may use a weapon unlawfully or in such other manner that would endanger the person's self or others. In making such a determination, the sheriff may consider whether the applicant:
- Was found guilty but mentally ill in a criminal case.
- Was found not guilty in a criminal case by reason of insanity or mental disease or defect.
- Was declared incompetent to stand trial in a criminal case.
- Asserted a defense in a criminal case of not guilty by reason of insanity or mental disease or defect.
- Was found not guilty only by reason of lack of mental responsibility under the Uniform Code of Military Justice.
- Required involuntary inpatient treatment in a psychiatric hospital or similar treatment facility.
- Required involuntary outpatient treatment in a psychiatric hospital or similar treatment facility based on a finding that the person is an imminent danger to himself or herself or to others.
- Required involuntary commitment to a psychiatric hospital or similar treatment facility for any reason, including drug use.
- Is or was the subject of a prosecution or of a commitment or incompetency proceeding that could lead to a prohibition on the receipt or possession of a firearm under the laws of Alabama or the United States.
- Falsified any portion of the permit application.
- Has caused justifiable concern for public safety.
The Morgan County Sheriff's Office offers an online service as a convenience to the community. In addition to the permit fee, the system will charge a per-transaction fee for the convenience of applying and paying for your permit online. The convenience fee is not collected by the Sheriff. This fee is paid to the company that provides this order, payment, and processing system to the public.
For More Information, Contact:
Morgan County Sheriff's Office
119 Lee St NE
Decatur, AL 35601
Phone: (256) 351-4800
Fax: (256) 351-4805